We will be an internationally recognized centre of expertise dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians through the application and advancement of science and knowledge.
We are accountable to support health-care providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of all Ontarians, through the transparent and timely provision of credible scientific advice and practical tools.
To provide scientific and technical advice to those working to protect and promote the health of Ontarians.
- Credible: We strive to produce well-researched and high-quality products based upon the best available research and information.
- Responsive: We exist to help address the real needs of those within the system who provide care, and who work daily to protect and promote the health of the public. To that end, we strive to be responsive to the emergent needs and priorities of our partners and clients.
- Relevant: We provide information, advice and support that is not only scientifically accurate, but also useful, timely, relevant and in a format and manner that help people respond to and address real issues.
- Innovative: We work with others to create solutions and partnerships which go beyond the traditional boundaries of institutions and sectors and seek new approaches to bridging research and practice, science and context.
- Collaborative: We cannot succeed separate and apart from the public health, health-care and research communities of which we are a part. Our contribution is advanced most effectively as a collaborator and trusted partner contributing to, advancing and acknowledging the work of others.
- Balanced:Our mandate is broad and we strive to meet the needs of many stakeholders. Our ongoing strategic planning requires us to approach our growth with a balanced perspective between:
- field and provincially identified priorities
- the health protection and health promotion components of the mandate
- the advancement and application of knowledge
- using proven methods of intervention and providing leadership in new innovative methods.
To learn more about how PHO is achieving its mandate, read our 2010-13 Strategic Plan (English version) or Plan Stratégique 2010-2013 (French version).