As a central resource for Ontario, Public Health Ontario is building links with existing resources to provide the best available evidence in all areas of its mandate. Between April 2010 and April 2011, the health promotion resource centres served more than 10,480 clients (two thirds of whom were from public health units). The resource centres also conducted:
- 120 referrals
- 165 planning consultations
- 87 training and capacity building workshops
- 264 training and capacity building consultations
- Three major knowledge exchange, and skill and capacity-building events
The Health Communication Unit
In spring 2011, The Health Communication Unit (THCU) located at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health moved to Public Health Ontario. Building on THCU’s broad base of expertise, networks and resources, Public Health Ontario has integrated these services as part of our broader health promotion capacity building services available to public health and health care intermediaries.
Alcohol Policy Network
In spring 2012, The Alcohol Policy Network (APN) located at the Ontario Public Health Association (OPHA) moved to Public Health Ontario (PHO). APN’s mission is to facilitate the development of policies that prevent problems associated with alcohol use and enhance the health, safety and well-being of individuals and communities across Ontario. Through its website, APN stimulates informed discussion about various aspects of alcohol policy and profiles prevention efforts and successes. Building on APN’s expertise, networks and resources on alcohol policy, PHO has integrated these services as part of our broader health promotion capacity building services available to public health and health care intermediaries. For more information, read the “What’s new” announcement.
Together with the resource centres, Public Health Ontario is implementing a three-year strategic plan, evaluation plan and cycle. The following resource centres are our partners:
Ontario Injury Prevention Resource Centre
The Ontario Injury Prevention Resource Centre (OIPRC), housed at SMARTRISK Foundation, is a Public Health Ontario resource centre dedicated to helping injury prevention practitioners reduce injury in Ontario. OIPRC’s objectives are to:
- Increase the knowledge, skill and confidence of injury prevention practitioners in planning, implementation and evaluation
- Provide relevant and timely training equitably across the province, to meet the needs of the priority populations
- Provide communication, information and knowledge exchange services
- Provide customized data information and assistance, using the most current information available
- Engage key stakeholders
- Increase clients' awareness, understanding, and access to appropriate services and resources.
For more information about the centre, visit the OIPRC website.
Program Training and Consultation Centre
The Program Training and Consultation Centre (PTCC) is responsible for providing training and technical assistance to health professionals working in comprehensive tobacco control in Ontario. PTCC works closely with Tobacco Control Area Networks and public health units in Ontario to increase the capacity of organizations and providers to deliver effective, comprehensive tobacco use reduction interventions in Ontario, as part of the Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy. PTCC builds capacity in comprehensive tobacco control at the local level through:
- Training workshops and webinars
- Media analysis and referral services
- Toll-free telephone, email and on-site consultations
- Training resources on tobacco program issues
- Province-wide community of practice and dissemination of practice-based evidence
For more information visit the PTCC website.
For more information regarding Public Health Ontario’s Health Promotion Resource Centres, please refer to the following: