As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world. Our mission is to support health care providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of all Ontarians.
We provide credible scientific advice, practical tools, information and expertise in a wide range of areas relating to public health. Multi-disciplinary teams work across the organization to share knowledge and expertise in emergency management support; environmental and occupational health; infectious disease prevention and control; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; knowledge exchange and professional development; public health laboratories; surveillance and epidemiology; and science and research.
Advice, information and expertise take many forms and we deliver them in many ways, including:
- Public health laboratory test results
- Research studies and collaborations
- Field support for current or potential infectious disease scenarios
- Guidance documents for public health and health-care professionals
- Emergency management support for pandemics, environmental hazards and other scenarios
- Training and education sessions via the internet, in person and other interactive technologies
- Partnerships with academic institutions and public health organizations
- ... and much more
Our goal is to reflect our values through a cooperative, responsive environment based on shared expertise and collaboration within our organization and with our many partners in public health.
We continue to build our organization as we deliver on our mandate. Please visit each of our programs and service areas for more information, or download PHO 2010-2013 Strategic Plan to learn more about our approach to achieving our mandate.